Upper Marlboro, Md., Sept 29, 2022–The 64th Annual Washington International Horse Show (WIHS) presented by MARS EquestrianTM returns to the Washington, D.C. area October 24-30 with seven days and three nights of thrilling five-star international jumping, top hunters, entertaining exhibitions, and special events for the whole family. Join us in our new location at The Show Place Arena, Prince George’s Equestrian Center, in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
Hunters: Horses are judged on accuracy, grace, and elegance as they jump a course of natural-style obstacles similar to what might be found in foxhunting.
International show jumping, entertaining exhibitions, WIHS Equitation Final. Details below.
WIHS Barn Night — Thursday, October 27
- Barn Night details: Barn Night
WIHS Military Night presented by Boeing — Friday, October 28
In his first trip to WIHS, Redha Gharsa and the magnificent Friesian stallion, Battlefield Angel HP “Ezra,” will perform an elegant dressage demonstration. Owned by Rhiannon Barreda, a retired career U.S. Army MEDEVAC helicopter pilot, Ezra’s performance is a salute to veterans and active military personnel for their service and sacrifice.
Making its welcome return to WIHS, Jack Russell terrier racing will keep the energy going as 12 zippy and lovable terriers race over hurdles for ribbons and prize money.
The WIHS Honor & Service Award presented by EQUUS Foundation recognizes a horse, individual or organization that best demonstrates the values of honor and service as exhibited by it’s first recipient, the Caisson Platoon’s Klinger, a special horse who has touched the lives of many through his life of service with the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard).
ETHOS Award Champagne Brunch –– Saturday, October 29, 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
WIHS is honored to host the inaugural ETHOS Award Ceremony to recognize contributions by African Americans to the horse world. This year’s recipients are from families where excellence in equestrian sport has spanned more than one generation. Honoree Donna Cheek will receive a special ETHOS Award for her participation as the first Black member of the United States Equestrian Team. Click HERE to learn about the six honorees.
World Cup Night — Saturday, October 29
The marquee event of the week, the $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World CupTM Washington CSI5*-W presented by Experience Prince George’s, will feature top international riders and superstar horses as they take on the biggest jumps and most challenging course for the largest purse in the history of the show.
D.C. Washington, the voice of Washington sports, will start off the evening with the National Anthem, followed by the nation’s top junior riders competing in the last phase of the WIHS Equitation Final. The Shetland Ponies and their junior jockeys will be ready to race in the concluding event of the WIHS Shetland Pony Steeplechase Championship Series.
WIHS Kids' Day presented by Delta Air Lines Free, Educational and Fun
A variety of activities are planned for the two WIHS Kids’ Day events, including pony rides, a grooming station, face painting, a horseless horse show where kids can jump on foot to win ribbons, a pony kissing booth, carousel rides (National Harbor), plus ‘special guest’ horses, ponies, and more!
- Saturday, Oct. 22, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., National Harbor Carousel Lot
- Saturday, Oct. 29, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Prince George’s Equestrian Center
- Admission is free for both events.
Tickets & Hospitality
Daytime Tickets (General admission, Mon-Sun)
- Daytime admission is free for kids 12 and under
- Adults: Daytime admission is free on Monday, $2 on Tuesday, $5 on Wednesday and Thursday, $10 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Evening Tickets (Thurs, Fri, Sat) – Options with and without dinner
- “Ticket + Dinner” tickets: The best seats in the arena with a dinner buffet and beverages (two servings of wine/beer per ticket for patrons 21+). Patrons will enjoy their dinner and drinks at their reserved arena seats.
- “Paddock Room” tickets: Experience WIHS in an event room overlooking the arena. Unreserved, general admission seating allows patrons to move freely throughout the evening between round tables and chairs in front of the viewing windows. Tickets include dinner buffet and beverages (wine/beer open bar for patrons 21+). (No arena seat with this option.)
- Reserved seats only
- Platform tables of eight: https://wihs.org/vip-tables/
ETHOS Award Champagne Brunch
- Honoring the contribution of African Americans to equestrian sport: https://wihs.org/ethosaward/